Thursday, October 6, 2011

Self-Transformation Programme #3m (STP)

Salam sejahtera,

This would probably be the last of the STP series posting. I think everyone understand what I am trying to bring forward. In case you don't, my objective is , I want to change some of those bad habits usually associated with Malaysian starting with myself (yes yours truly), my family, my neighbour, my blog readers, your friends and your friends' friends. Do me a favour please! Tell two of your best friends about my blog especially relating to STP. If each of your friend  tells two other friends, can you imagine the impact and effect it can bring. Don't wait, do it now. You can post the link on your FB, click the like button,  email , text/SMS, tweet, call or just tell them. Thank you in advance dear readers, for helping me to spread the STP challenge.

Now let me list some more habits that need to be changed or improved. The list is not exhaustive but let just stick to just 3 (three) only.

1- Malaysian time

    I used to work for an international financial instution for 21 years. Yes you read
    correctly but don't ask me why I stayed there for that long. Anyway, I met a lof
    of collegues from other parts of the world.

    What make me embarassed was one remark from a Sri Lankan IT coordinator who
    suggested to set the meeting time 30 min earlier. He said  'If we want to start the
    meeting at 3pm sharp, then we better tell them the meeting is at 2:30pm Malaysian time'.


    What about Chinese wedding dinner reception? What about it you may ask.  I am
    pretty sure you have experienced it. So I don't think I have to elaborate.

   We all need to improve our time management, be punctual and respect those who
    invited you be it to attend a meeting or wedding dinner etc. Hmm.. talking about
    wedding dinner makes me hungry.
   
2- Cleanliness

    Have you been to Gold Coast Australia? Don't worry if you haven't. The beaches
    are clean and most importantly the people who flock the beaches have one thing
    in common, apart from sexy/handsome. They don't litter like most of us do.

    I always wonder how will Cherating, Teluk Cempedak, Pantai Batu Buruk,
    Pantai Cinta Berahi (ooops changed to Pantai Cahaya Bulan) look like if
    Mat Salleh were to be given a chance to manage them. I am sure it will
    beat Gold Coast, anytime.

    Have you seen people throwing rubbish out of their car while driving
    on Malaysian roads or highways? Although we have pretty good infrastuctures
    compare to some of our neighbouring countries, some people don't know
    how to appreciate them. The only things that they are good at are grumble and
    complain about the condition of the road, how other people drive etc.

    How about the condition of Malaysian public toilet? It is always easy to point
    our finger at the cleaners but some of us contributed to the mess like throwing
    rubbish on the floor or 'forgot' to flush the toilet etc.


3- Malaysian Driving Skills

    I got to salute some of our drivers, zipping in and out of heavy traffic on the
    Plus highway at breakneck speed. With a little guidance , I guarantee they can
    obtain F1 license. Some regard the emergency lane as an additional or
    overtaking lane. Some slow drivers hog the right most (so called fast lane) and
    they seem to live in their world. No matter how much honking or headlight
    flashing will not make them change their mind. They continue to hog the fast lane.

   So, what do we need to change here? I believe you're smart enough to list some
   bad habits / attitude that warrant  change/improvement.

I am powerless to change others, but I can control and change / improve myself and
my family. If each of us is able to change / improve even a little bit, the impact will
be tremendous. Give yourself a pat on the back for trying.

Thanks you.

From the desk of  Hj Esa aka mesaro